[plt-scheme] PLaneT and beta releases

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan_sml at yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 21 10:09:02 EDT 2005

--- Jacob Matthews <jacobm at cs.uchicago.edu> wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2005, at 4:26 AM, Noel Welsh wrote:
>
> > [...] I'm adding some new functionality
> > that requires new functionality in B.  This is a big change
> > so I want to work on both A and B for some time before I
> > release them.  Suddenly all is not good.  I have to change
> > all references to B in A to use a normal collection
> > directory so that I can see my local changes to B.  Then I
> > have to change them back when I release.  Woe is me!
>
> I've recently come to the same conclusion -- at the moment,
> developers just have to build their code into packages and inject
> those packages into their local PLaneT caches using the
> command-line tool if they want to see their code the way others
> do, and that seems  hairy to me. You see this problem even
> when you're just developing a  single package. I'm not
> sure how to get around it yet, but I'm thinking about it ...

I generally just create a symlink in the planet cache that points
into
my CVS or Subversion working copy. It breaks PLaneT abstractions,
but It Works (TM) perfectly for me.

For example, if I've already installed (planet _ ("ryanc"
"scripting.plt" 1 0)),
it goes in $CACHE/ryanc/scripting.plt/1/0/. Then I execute

  ln -s $SVN-DIR/scheme/packages/scripting
$CACHE/ryanc/scripting.plt/1/1

to make my working copy look like an installed version 1.1.

Perhaps PLaneT could adopt and formalize this practice by having some
sort of virtual host/directory/link table, rather than relying on
symlinks
(so Windows uers don't get left out).

Ryan