[plt-scheme] unexpected things in .ss files

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Oct 13 15:22:04 EDT 2005

On Oct 13, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> We've asked our students not to use Comment or Test Boxes because we
> do things with their code outside DrScheme, but we're still getting
> submissions with weird things in them. One of them was something
> that looked like a number, but the cursor just moves over it. I got
> something like that with Insert Fraction, but the bad example was a
> decimal, not a rational fraction. I finally duplicated the error by
> computing the number I wanted in the Interactions window, cutting
> the result, and pasting it into the Interactions window. It appears
> to be a snip.

They are snips of numbers that are printed in DrScheme's interactions.

> Is there any way to force pastes to just be text? Is there a simple
> way to process files to convert these type of snips to plain text?

Since this is the second time this comes up, I'm putting some code
out.  It's at http://tmp.barzilay.org/wxme-to-text -- a script that
you should run as `wxme-to-text <filename>' and it will spit out a
text version of this file.  There are various snips that are printed
in some rough form, like test boxes and comment boxes, and some that
are printed in bogus form like images...  But it's better than nothing
and good for grading.