[plt-scheme] November Denver Lisp Users Group Meeting

From: Williams, M. Douglas (M.DOUGLAS.WILLIAMS at saic.com)
Date: Tue Nov 8 11:32:05 EST 2005

The next LispDen meeting will be at 6:00 PM on Wednesday, 16 November 2005
at the Gordon Biersch Restaurant and Brew Pub at Flatirons Mall in
Broomfield, CO.  I will present the PLT Scheme Simulation Collection (see
the synopsis below).  This builds on the PLT Scheme Science Collection that
was described at a previous LispDen meeting.  The presentation will be
followed by a workshop, so bring your laptop if you want to play with the
simulation package.  I have attached a pdf of the presentation slides.

I am also in the process of moving the code development to the Schematics
project at SourceForge.  Thanks to Noel Welsh and the other Schematics folks
for setting that up for me - and my apologies for taking so long to actually
do it.

Here is a synopsis of the presentation.

I am attempting to recreate - and extend - in PLT Scheme the knowledge-based
simulation environment I used to have in Symbolics Common Lisp. It consists
of three PLT Scheme collections: Science Collection, Simulation Collection,
and Inference Collection. The PLT Scheme Science Collection is a port of
portions of the GNU Scientific Library (GSL) that provides a foundation for
implementing the other collections, as well as providing data analysis
functions. The PLT Scheme Science Collection has been released via PLaneT.
Version 2.0, which includes ordinary differential equations, will soon be
released.

The PLT Scheme Simulation Collection provides a simulation engine for
combined discrete-event (based on a process interaction model) and
continuous simulation models. The PLT Scheme Simulation Collection will soon
be released to PLaneT. The PLT Scheme Inferencing Collection provides a
rule-based inference engine.

In this talk, I will present the PLT Scheme Simulation Collection.  I will
start with a simplified discrete-event simulation engine (less than three
pages of documented Scheme code) to show how to build a continuation-based
simulation engine.  Examples and demonstrations will be used throughout the
presentation.

Doug Williams