[plt-scheme] Applicable operators as Swindle classes

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jun 8 01:45:21 EDT 2005

On Jun  8, Will M. Farr wrote:
> I've been writing some code using Swindle, and I'm curious whether
> there's a way to define a new swindle class whose instances are
> applicable.  (Like instances of <generic> are applicable, but remain
> instances of a class with slots, etc.)  I had a look at the Swindle
> documentation and the code for some clues---I was thinking I could just
> subclass <function> and set a particular slot to the lambda expression
> I want when applying an instance---but it wasn't clear to me that this
> would work.  Is there someone out there who has done this and could
> give me some tips or point me to the right place in the code to clear
> things up?

You need to create an <entity-class>, which is the class for classes
of applicable objects.  Then you need to use `set-instance-proc!' to a
procedure which is used when the object is applied.  Example:

  => (defclass <foo> () [x :initarg :x] :metaclass <entity-class>)
  => (add-method initialize
       (method ([foo <foo>] initargs)
         (set-instance-proc! foo (lambda (x) (+ x (slot-ref foo 'x))))
         (call-next-method)))
  => (define x (make <foo> :x 1))
  => (x 5)
  6