[plt-scheme] Re: PLT Scheme v300

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Dec 21 16:21:10 EST 2005

On Dec 21, Peter Santoro wrote:
> Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > * You have moved the contents of <PLT>/notes/mzscheme to
> >   /usr/share/doc, which is fine for a mzscheme build, but it will
> >   break help-desk if you will attempt to do the same with the
> >   complete package.
>
> Good to know.  I won't move the docs, but I may put a symlink in
> /usr/doc, as most slackware users expect package docs in /usr/doc.

That's the sane approach for now.  It's what the .sh installers do --
you can see the source by looking at the first part of these .ss files
for the code that puts the links in (it's the last block of code,
after "Running the PLT installer").

> BTW, I took at look at the docs in the notes directory.  It would be
> nice if there was a list of changes from the previous release in a
> format that a script could more easily parse.  For example:
>
> <old-symbol-name> <delimiter> <upgrade-issue-hint>
>
> where <upgrade-issue-hint> could be one or more of the following (or
> whatever the PLT team think makes sense):  deprecated, renamed,
> api-change, behavior-change, moved; followed by an optional hint (new
> location or new name, etc.) [...]

That would be nice, but...  There are many changes, and many people
that are involved in the process, tracing such things would be very
difficult since they require non-trivial effort.