[plt-scheme] Thoughts on number-snip.ss

From: Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos (pocm at sat.inesc-id.pt)
Date: Tue Apr 12 10:56:43 EDT 2005

Robby Findler said:

> The number snip doesn't add any new kinds of values to Scheme
> -- it's
> just changing the way that existing numbers are printed. So, if
> you
> wanted a new kind of number where the sqrt of 2 could be
> represented
> precisely, the first step would be working out what all the
> numeric
> primitives do on those new kinds of numbers and implementing
> that.

Indeed, I've done that in part. I've also implemented some
numeric transformation rules that would return 1/3 given 0.(3)
for example.

> Once you've done that, you might be able to convince me to draw
> you a
> little sqrt thingy. :)

I would prefer to do it myself if you don't mind. I'd just like
to know where to start to do that? For example, if you could
please tell me where's the code that draws the line between the
denominator and numerator in fractions, I'd be most grateful.
:)

If you want I can send you the code I have but I'm modifying it
to use the class.ss library since it is all implemented in
swindle now. This change is due to the fact that stuff using
class.ss seem to integrate better with existing drscheme code
and swindle seems stalled (sorry, Eli). :)

Cheers,

Paulo Matos