[plt-scheme] homeschooling/self-study

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 4 10:32:27 EDT 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Rich Talley wrote:

> I have two teenaged sons who have expressed an interest in learning
> something about programming, which isn't offered in their schools. So
> I had each download and install DrScheme and pointed them at HTDP. We
> are just finishing up section 2. We will be going slowly as this
> project can't keep them from their regular schoolwork.
>
> Does anybody have comments, advice or warnings about using the PLT
> materials outside of a classroom setting?

You may want to take a look at the HtDP+ materials in

   http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP/Extended/index.html

In addition, you should look at the course outline in

   http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/211-f04/

esp the assignments and labs. They introduce the world.ss teachpack
with which you can write simple animations and "ufo shooting" games
(they can also be peaceful if you prefer that). The old draw.ss has
similar capabilities but world.ss is better for testing things before
you run them.

Good luck -- Matthias

> Do you want to hear something about our experiences with DrScheme and
> HTDP?
>
> Two notes: I have some experience with computers (mostly
> sales/installation/troubleshooting and some programming) and I've
> recently returned to school to study math and CS, so my background is
> different from the average parent's. Also Shriram and Eli were nice
> enough to give me access to the solutions - that will be very helpful.
>
> Rich Talley

Posted on the users mailing list.