[plt-scheme] Multimedia file format questions

From: Richard C. Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 3 08:59:33 EDT 2004

Lo, on Sunday, October 3, Don Blaheta did write:

> Quoth Robert Bruce Findler:
> > On Oct 2, 2004, at 2:56 PM, Don Blaheta wrote:
> > > Another problem I had forgotten about: several of my students have
> > > reported that DrScheme doesn't let them save files with the extension
> > > .bjava (instead converting it to .bjava.scm or just .scm).  I haven't
> > > been able to reproduce it; is there some option I should tell them to
> > > look for?
> >
> > I'm not sure. What OS?
>
> Windows, I think.  Like I said, I haven't been able to reproduce it.

It's been quite a while since I've used Windows for any length of time,
but I vaguely remember encountering this problem myself, in a different
context.  If I remember correctly, this is actually a Windows "feature",
not a property of DrScheme.  The idea is to allow casual users to save
their Word document as "Letter to Mom" and have Windows automatically
add the appropriate extension, so the user (who probably has their
Explorer configured to hide extensions anyway) doesn't have to think
about it.

To disable this, try putting double quotes around the filename in the
Save As box.  (It's a hack, but I think it works.)

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.