[plt-scheme] just starting, comming from j2ee

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 9 09:56:10 EST 2004

--- Chris Double <chris.double at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you
> don't want to go to the trouble of setting up Apache just
> for the task
> of load balancing another option is Pound:
> http://www.apsis.ch/pound/

Back in the day I did some research on load balancing
products.  We didn't trust software so tended to focus on
the hardware products.  Some of the results:

   - the BigIP product, which is just BSD + Perl and C++ in

     a custom box, bottled out at 30 hits/s

   - the Alteons were rock solid.  We were unable to
     generate enough load to swamp them.   IIRC they are
     speced to 10000 hits/s

The website for Pound reports peaks of 400 hits/s, which is
pretty impressive.  I guess things have moved on!  Still if
I was running Amazon I would probably want to invest in
some Alteons.  For anything smaller I suspect software
load-balancing would be completely viable.

Noel

=====
Email: noelwelsh <at> yahoo <dot> com
AIM: noelhwelsh