[plt-scheme] Re: PLT Scheme v207 doesn't install

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri May 21 22:49:06 EDT 2004

On May 21, Eric Hanchrow wrote:

>     Eli> If there is anyone who encounters this problem, and has the
>     Eli> MS compiler installed, it would be very helpful to invoke the
>     Eli> debugger when mred crashes so we get a stack trace.
>
> I've got MSVC 6, and have hit the problem, but (embarrassing
> question alert!) I don't know how to attach the debugger.  The best
> I can imagine happening is:
> [...]

I *think* (this was a long time ago) that when a process crashes and
you have the compiler installed, then you get some ok/cancel dialog
with confusing text, and if you hit one of them then MSVC is invoked
and attached to the running process.  (I think that the confusing part
is that if you hit cancel you get the debugger, but I might be wrong.)

OK, a few googles later, adn I found a page that explains how to do
this.  It's called a "post mortem debugger", and the default
Dr. Watson for that.  The page that describes this, and a way to
re-enable Dr. Watson is at:

  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q121434

I'm not sure that this will do the right thing -- Dr. Watson is the
default thing, but the page will get you to the registry entry that is
responsible for the postmortem debugger.

Elsewhere, I found that if you run "drwtsn -i" then you get it
installed, and then you run "drwtsn" to configure it.