[plt-scheme] efficient string operations yielding immutable strings

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 26 11:19:08 EST 2004

At Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:14:44 -0500, "Anton van Straaten" wrote:
> The way Java (and, for that matter, SML etc.) get around this kind of thing
> is with name hierarchies which the language knows how to construct and
> deconstruct.

FWIW, the colons are supposed to be those separators (and the last
thing after the colon just got out of hand, sorry about that :). But,
as I'm sure you know, the colons are just decoration in our current
system. Technically speaking, they are flattened into the name (so
error messages cannot report things in terms of the hierarchy).

> I particularly think this kind of thing has an impact on the viability of
> community shared code.  Without having done a detailed survey, my sense is
> that all the language communities with organized central code repositories,
> like CPAN etc., depend on such a system.

Yes I agree, we need something like this.

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.