[plt-scheme] Re: image manipulation

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Thu Mar 25 11:46:25 EST 2004

On Mar 25, 2004, at 8:30 AM, John Kozak wrote:

>> FWIW, SRFI 4 provides unboxed arrays of numbers, including 32-bit &
>> 64-bit floating point representations.
>
> To sneak in a pet moan of mine, the sgl collect has its own, parallel
> implementation of this - it would be nice if they got unified.

I agree. The fly in this ointment is that--as I understand it--the GL
code insists on using one name to refer to different underlying
representations, whereas the SRFI 4 code (adapted from the GL code, as
it happens) does not.

To be more concrete:  the C code for the GL library uses the name
gl_foobar_number, say, to refer to a 64-bit float on some platforms and
a 128-bit float on other platforms.

I agree that this problem is not insoluble; unfortunately, the authors
of the SRFI-4 and sgl implementations (myself and Scott Owens,
respectively) have not collaborated to resolve the issue.

john