[plt-scheme] Slideshow questions

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 15 15:28:54 EST 2004

At Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:03:32 -0500, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> >> PS/PDF files are difficult to edit. I would like to be able to prepare
> >> materials in Slideshow and allow others who don't use Scheme/Slideshow
> >> to be able to edit them for their own purposes. Export to LaTeX seems
> >> a good approach, though I'm open to suggestions.
> >
> >There's not a good way to do that. LaTeX is not a good fit for picts,
> >unfortunately.
>
> That's true if the full power of picts is used, but a good part of
> Slideshow presentations would be text. However, I see that it would be
> hard to draw the line, and though a mix of LaTeX and exported graphics
> would be possible, it would not be simple. This may mean I have to
> stick with LaTeX/seminar.sty for anything with which others (eg
> co-authors or co-instructors) are involved.
>
> Thanks for the f11 reminder (and to John Clements for Cmd-h). These
> make life a lot easier during presentations. --PR

The first incarnation of picts used latex's picture environment as a
backend. The results were certainly not editable, but it may get you
closer to what you want. Beware tho, tex's oddities peek thru the
interface meaning it can be hard to produce a presentation for both
latex and for use in slideshow, which is why we eventually abandoned
latex/pict interoperability (altho the code is still there).

Robby

Posted on the users mailing list.