[plt-scheme] getting sysadmins to install DrScheme

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 17 03:40:39 EDT 2004

At Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:29:34 -0400, Prabhakar Ragde wrote:
> Our sysadmins build systems in one place and distribute files; they
> don't build on each server. They built v.207 for Unix/X11, and when
> they run a "copied-to-another-machine" version from an X terminal, it
> loads slowly (complaining about GLX at one point), but it loads. When
> I try running the same version from my desktop Mac (via Apple's X11
> and "ssh -X" to the same "copied-to" machine as the sysadmin used), it
> loads extremely slowly, the progress bar halts for a long time at the
> 40% mark, and eventually it segfaults after displaying the EoPL and
> HtDP icons. I am at a loss as to why changing the display server would
> make such a difference to the client.

By "copied-to-another-machine", do you mean "cp -r ..."?

My guess is that the problem relates to file dates. If each ".ss" file
gets a newer date than the corresponding ".zo" files, DrScheme will
load much more slowly, because DrScheme will think that the ".zo"
fileis out-of-date. Re-running Setup PLT should solve the problem in
that case, or copying in a way that perserves file dates (e.g., using
tar, I think).

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.