[plt-scheme] getting sysadmins to install DrScheme

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Jun 15 17:29:34 EDT 2004

Our sysadmins build systems in one place and distribute files; they
don't build on each server. They built v.207 for Unix/X11, and when
they run a "copied-to-another-machine" version from an X terminal, it
loads slowly (complaining about GLX at one point), but it loads. When
I try running the same version from my desktop Mac (via Apple's X11
and "ssh -X" to the same "copied-to" machine as the sysadmin used), it
loads extremely slowly, the progress bar halts for a long time at the
40% mark, and eventually it segfaults after displaying the EoPL and
HtDP icons. I am at a loss as to why changing the display server would
make such a difference to the client.

I am not going to be able to convince them to build on each
machine. Can someone suggest a course of action? Many thanks. --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.