[plt-scheme] Re: An Editors Tale

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 29 08:37:47 EST 2004

On Jan 29, 2004, at 8:25 AM, Guenther Schmidt wrote:

> All these wonderful functions distributed over files, putting them
> together, no debugging, no way of seeing how the code actually flows.
>
> I'll gladly accept all the help I can get. This is for instance where
> the .NET framework comes into play.

What help do you get from .Net that you don't get from DrScheme?
I am sincerely interested in an answer, and my hunch is that you
get code from wizards. To make this concrete, let me describe
what I think you get. >>> When you create a "project" the
ide will ask what kind of project you want, and you say "gui
application" and voila` the ide spits out 200 lines of code.
When you click on compile and run, you get a "hello
world" box that does nothing. But the code contains stub
functions/methods for all the menus that come with the
window and by filling in some blanks with code snippets
you get something going. More guessing, more program.<<<

Please describe whether this is the scenario that you
expect and/or describe alternatives (e.g., the class
browsers that comes with VSE and the method browser, etc).

-- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.