[plt-scheme] Re: An Editors Tale

From: Guenther Schmidt (gue.schmidt at web.de)
Date: Thu Jan 29 08:25:44 EST 2004

Second part.

Dear Michael,

also there is the "bottom up" approach (or rather what I understand to be the bottom up approach).

The bottom part doesn't realy give me that much trouble, this is exactly where Schemes beauty shows. It's the "up" part where things become difficult (for me), the part beyound these basic algorythms).
In other words putting all thoses little things together and into an application.
All these wonderful functions distributed over files, putting them together, no debugging, no way of seeing how the code actually flows.

"A genius doesn't need order, it oversees the chaos"

Well I'm not a genius, I'll gladly accept all the help I can get. This is for instance where the .NET framework comes into play.

I do appreciate that you make me elaborate on my problems here, I don't think I've ever tried before putting the finger on them.

Best regards

Guenther

Michael Sperber wrote:

> Guenther> Most people here are so far advanced and already so deeply
> Guenther> inside PLT they can no longer fathom the problems a beginner
> Guenther> faces or gets stuck with. There is no doubt that DrScheme is
> Guenther> very powerful and a skilled programmer can take it to "where
> Guenther> no man has gone before".
>
> I'm certainly deeply entrenched in PLT lore, and you keep saying that,
> but I'm still interested to know where precisely your troubles are.
>
> I've taught many first-semester students, many of whom had no trouble
> figuring out the PLT GUI stuff and wrote quite sophisticated code
> using it.

Posted on the users mailing list.