[plt-scheme] Re: An Editors Tale

From: Guenther Schmidt (gue.schmidt at web.de)
Date: Wed Jan 28 07:55:26 EST 2004

Dear Michael,

thanks for replying.

See I'm merely a mediocre programmer at best, I couldn't say that I'm really good at it, and I don't think I ever will be.

So I do appreciate the help VS gives me here, may it come with debugging and stepping, editing (Intelisense) or what have you. For *good* programmers theses things may be toys, nice to haves, etc. For someone with my level of skills ........

It is also very nice to design visual apps viually and the switch to the code view where needed.

All this is not meant to  put DrScheme or PLT down, DrScheme was meant for a different purpose, primarily an educational one and I do realize and appreciate that.

Best regards

Guenther

Michael Sperber wrote:

> Guenther> Computers are machines they "should" make things *easer*, that's the
> Guenther> original idea behind it and not steal your time from you.  It
> Guenther> sometimes seems that if it's got all those things that make things
> Guenther> easier, *some* people seem to think well this doesn't have blood,
> Guenther> sweat and tears to it so it's not proper programming and we won't have
> Guenther> it.  Sorry I do not share that view.
>
> Could you elaborate on why you think Visual Studio .NET makes this
> significantly easier than PLT Scheme?  (I can think of several
> reasons, but am curious to know what yours are.)  After having
> produced two commercial applications using PLT Scheme, I guess I
> disagree that GUI programming with PLT Scheme is hard, "steals my
> time" or is somehow "by foot."  But my goals may differ from yours, or
> there might a difference in backgrounds.

Posted on the users mailing list.