[plt-scheme] MzTake - relative line numbers

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 11 09:01:50 EDT 2004

Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback.

We've wrestled with this problem some, though without any great
solutions yet.

We did consider putting the script in a box attached directly to the
code it monitors.  The problem is, naturally, what to do with code
that monitors multiple pieces, not to mention what the meaning of a
MzTake "program" is when it's split across a bunch of different boxes
in some other program's source.  So I don't think that's viable.

Now presumably this isn't a problem when you're monitoring library
code, right?  It's only an issue if you have edit access to a program
AND are regularly taking advantage of it.  If that's the case, perhaps
it's not such a big deal to slightly annotate your program.

You suggested anchor strings; another possibility is to have a new
kind of DrScheme box that you insert before the expression you want to
monitor.  Perhaps we can even use a stylized form of a comment box.

Comments, anyone?

Shriram

Posted on the users mailing list.