[plt-scheme] Unicode, take 3

From: Richard C. Cobbe (cobbe at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 2 08:35:10 EST 2004

Lo, on Friday, April 2, Paul Schlie did write:

> I may easily be wrong, but simply perceive that the most productive
> societies have adopted a single common alphabet/language

Well, that's likely true, although I don't have any evidence for the
claim one way or the other.

Saying that, however, is a very different thing than claiming that
programming languages that allow the use of arbitrary character sets in
identifiers lead to unmaintainable code, which is how I understood your
original claim.

An interesting question: in those languages which allow (essentially)
arbitrary Unicode strings as identifier names, how many programs
actually take advantage of this capacity, as opposed to just sticking to
straight ASCII?

Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.