[plt-scheme] Unicode, take 3

From: Paul Schlie (schlie at comcast.net)
Date: Fri Apr 2 08:31:16 EST 2004

Yup, although technically first converted to ASCII prior to parsing; I may
easily be wrong, but simply perceive that the most productive societies have
adopted a single common alphabet/language, therefore by analogy believe that
although I recognize the advantage of being able to program in one's native
language, it's not clear to me that it's productive in the big picture, as
if other languages had broadly enabled this earlier, I suspect that the
computing world would be even less unified than it is today, for good or
bad, but who knows?

 http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/second_edition/html/lexical.doc.html#231
571

> From: "Richard C. Cobbe" <cobbe at ccs.neu.edu>
>
> Doesn't Java allow arbitrary Unicode strings to be used as identifiers?
>
> (Well, OK, arbitrary strings of characters that are within the first 2^16
> positions of Unicode, but whatever....)
>
> Richard

Posted on the users mailing list.