[plt-scheme] structure inspectors

From: Mike T. Machenry (dskippy at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 27 10:24:16 EDT 2003

I am having a problem testing programs that return structs. Currently I am
creating a test-suite helper function for every struct that I define in the
program that compares two values of that struct. This gets tiresome. equal?
does not work without an inspector.

I tried writing a more powerful equal? for my test macro that would use
struct->vector when struct? was true. Sadly struct? does not work without
an inspector. I then tried just changing all my structure definitions to have
inspectors which was pretty nice, but I needed to change my code inorder to
test it.

How do others solve this problem?
What is the reasoning for having structs be an opaque, incomprable thing by
default?

Thanks,
-mike

Posted on the users mailing list.