[plt-scheme] Scheme to Java

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Jun 27 04:38:19 EDT 2003

Ben Filippenko <planetben at cox.net> writes at 20:40 26-Jun-2003 -0700:
> I would like to create a website where people can run my programs in a
> simple UI inside of the browser. Obviously, Scheme will not run on a
> browser on it's own, but I was wondering if there was a way to convert
> my Scheme code to a Java Applet, enabaling me to post it on the web
> browser. How can I accomplish this?

If you want to write Java applets using Scheme, two Scheme
implementations to look at (that can compile to Java JVM bytecode,
and/or can be called from Java) are Kawa and SISC:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/kawa/
    http://sisc.sourceforge.net/

However, I try to avoid writing Java applets at all, since they are very
hard to QA, are slow to download, are not usable by browsers that don't
support Java, tend to crash some Web browsers, are not usable by people
who require alternative modalities (e.g., screen-readers for
visually-impaired), are not usable by software agents, etc.

If your UI can be done with dynamically-generated HTML and images
instead of a Java applet, then take a look at the PLT Web server
"servlets" instead.

--
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/