[plt-scheme] Clas override, MrEd question...

From: Robby Findler (robby at cs.uchicago.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 15 11:24:30 EDT 2003

Well, from what I imagine, I think that a separate text field is a
better choice -- otherwise you will have state that is hidden from the
user and potentially confusing ("am I seeing the whole list now? I want
to go back to it but I'm not sure I've got it all cleared out...." kind
of thing).

Still, to implement what you wan't you shouldn't have to override the
append method. Add another method where you set the full list of
choices and then, from the place where you catch the keyboard events
just call the clear/append methods to change the contents of the list
box.

hth,
Robby

At Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:40:04 +1000, Rian Douglas wrote:

> I'm looking for/implementing a filtered choice/list box, which restricts
> the available choices to those that match a filter string.  I haven't
> seen any available widgets that do this, so I've begun hacking together
> a choice% subclass.  I've captured keyboard events, to create the filter
> string, but I cannot override the append method, and call the superclass
> append method from within it.  I would like this to happen within the
> one widget (not really after a seperate text field, although I may have
> to go that way).  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Rian Douglas

Posted on the users mailing list.