[plt-scheme] A Couple of Questions on DrScheme/Mzscheme

From: Zbyszek Jurkiewicz (zbyszek at duch.mimuw.edu.pl)
Date: Mon Sep 30 11:30:00 EDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> If Polish high school students know how to design programs according to
> the recipes in HtDP (not necessarily know the book), I congratulate you
> and your country for putting together one fantastic pre-college curriculum.
> I'd love to see this in action.

No, I'm not so idealistic (and it is not true).  Rather, it all depends
on teachers (as always).  But because to get to our dept. candidate
has to pass entry exams (which are not pass/fail, but we have limited
number of places and select the best), the initial level of student
is rather high (in CS and math of course).

Also, many of our candidates had taken part in national CS competitions
in programming for high schools (and ever international ones, called
Olympiads :-) -- they need not to pass the exams.

So we are in comfortable position.  Besides, I do not expect our
high-school curricula to be generally better than elsewhere, probably
it is typical, also with the languages used :-(

Zbyszek Jurkiewicz

Posted on the users mailing list.