[plt-scheme] A Couple of Questions on DrScheme/Mzscheme

From: Jeff Stephens (jsteve17 at tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 23:56:45 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil W. Van Dyke" <neil at neilvandyke.org>
To: "Jeff Stephens" <jsteve17 at tampabay.rr.com>

>   * With its more "modern" libraries and frameworks, tools like GUI
>     dialog painters, and convenient static checking features, Java
>     probably seemed more accessible and gratifying than Scheme.  I think
>     PLT and some other Scheme developers have done some good work lately
>     in making Scheme more attractive.  (The main thing I still want is
>     GTK bindings for MzScheme, for making really slick GUI apps...)

I note that Dr. Graham, in the article I quoted, also lamented the lack of
libraries as a
reason for the relative unpopularity of Lisp.

I still wonder why the Scheme community in academia can't convince their
brother professors
in Engineering to give Scheme a try?  My background is in the Flight
Simulation field where
most engineers still prefer to program in Fortran or C unless a DoD contract
forces Ada
down their throats.

Posted on the users mailing list.