[plt-scheme] XML and Programming

From: Kirill Lisovsky (lisovsky at acm.org)
Date: Thu Sep 5 17:28:38 EDT 2002

Hello!

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Jordan Katz wrote:

> STX is only a tool that uses SSAX, but SSAX itself actually provides
> something called SXSLT; an implementation of apply-templates and a
> bunch of other SXSLT functions (that work with SXPath, an s-expression
> version of XPath) to provide an XSLT environment from Scheme.

I just want to clearify this a little bit:

STX is an XML/SXML transformation tool which is based on SXML/Scheme
and is compatible with a limited subset of XSLT.

It uses SSAX for XML->SXML transformation (but doesn't require it for
processing of SXML data).
STX uses SXPath and its extensions for pattern-matching and scripting,
its transformational engine is based on SXSLT's pre-order traversal.

The set of "SXSLT" functions is a part of SSAX-SXML project at
ssax.sf.net (SXML-tree-trans.scm), but it is orthogonal to
SSAX _parser_ itself.

SSAX's primary purpose is XML->SXML transformation, SXSLT functions
are intended for SXML->anything transformation.
However, SSAX is much more than DOM-like XML->SXML parser, and it can be
integrated with SXSLT more tightly: XSLT-like transformation of XML streams
is a possible example.

With SXPath and others SXML tools, SSAX and SXSLT provide a solid XML-processing
environment for Scheme.

More information may be found in
http://pobox.com/~oleg/ftp/papers/SXs.pdf

Best regards,