[plt-scheme] Compiling SrPersist in plt-201

From: Paul Steckler (steck at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 4 18:42:40 EDT 2002

> I'm not building plt from source, only srpersist.  I downloaded the
> plt-201 binary package, and the srpersist package.   SrPersist isn't
> distributed in binary form.
>
> I guess I'll download the plt-201 source package, build it somewhere
> else, then just copy over the mzgc.o file for linking with srpersist.
>
> Is there a "better" way to do this?  I can't imagine everyone using
> srpersist wants to download and build plt itself from source.  Why
> doesn't plt have the mzgc.o object included - it has mzdyn.o (whatever
> that is) ?

It's been awhile since I've built SrPersist for Unix -- I don't recall
why the gc library is needed there.  In fact, I'm puzzled why it's
there.  What happens if you simply remove that use from the Makefile?
Do you get unresolved references?

Maybe Francisco Solsona can comment.

For Windows, we do supply precompiled binaries for SrPersist.

For Unix, there are too many platforms and driver managers to consider
doing that.

The static libraries for Unix have never been distributed, presumably
for space reasons.  In general, PLT Scheme extensions don't require the
libraries -- they get external procedures from their host MzScheme or
DrScheme (which is why I'm puzzled).

-- Paul

Posted on the users mailing list.