[plt-scheme] SchemeQL back-ends

From: Francisco Solsona (solsona at acm.org)
Date: Wed Oct 30 19:57:22 EST 2002

MJ Ray <markj at cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

>> I recently wrote a couple modules that wrap the low level C interfaces to
>> MySQL and PostgreSQL. Both libraries provide similiar, but not identical,
>> functionality and my next step was to write a higher level interface that
>> could be implemented by either of the two modules.
>
> I think work is being duplicated here.  That may not be a bad thing, as some
> competiton is always good as long as we can collaborate and/or compare.

I totally agree with MJ Ray, can we have a look at your modules, though?

>> However, SchemeQL already provides a nice lamguage for this.
>>
>> So, my question is, could I use these modules as back-ends to SchemeQL (rather
>> than ODBC)?  Where would I start?
>
> On the schematics-development list, I suspect ;-)

Right.  Grab a copy of SchemeQL and see the file odbc.ss (the
functionality there is you want to provide to use SchemeQL),
connection.ss is also SrPersist dependant.

I've wanted to do this since quite some time now, but I haven't got
there yet, so I'll be happy to help.  SchemeQL design might need to
change a little bit to allow client code to select the lower level
module, but if we work first in a, as MJ Ray mentioned, standard low
level interface, the changes should be minor.

--Francisco

Posted on the users mailing list.