[plt-scheme] Parse-tracing

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 27 08:58:07 EST 2002

At Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:31:02 -0400, "Michael J. Fromberger" wrote:
> Is there an easy way, in DrScheme v. 103, to disable the visual "parse
> tracing" that occurs when the (read) procedure is invoked?  On some of
> my students' machines, this turns out to be painfully slow, and I'd
> have assumed there would be a parameter controlling it -- but I
> haven't been able to find it.

Even in the v200 series, there's no way to disable this.

Extremely slow reading is sometimes a problem for me in class, too. But
I'm not sure that the GUI feedback is really the source of the
slowdown. Reading a single character triggers many eventspace and
thread synchronizations through event queues, and probably it's just a
matter of streamlining that code.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.