[plt-scheme] Delpoyment/packaging questions

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 7 12:01:30 EDT 2002

At Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:18:19 +0400 (MSD), Kirill Lisovsky wrote:
> 1. On a Unix (Linux) box an attempt to 'setup-plt' _any_.plt package
> without root privileges fails with:
> open-output-file: cannot open output file:
> "/usr/local/lib/plt/collects/mzlib/compiled/cmdline.zo"
> (Permission denied; errno=13)
>
> while successful installation of the same package (as root) doesn't modify
> this file!

I dont know why that happens, and I'll look into it.

> So, the questions are:
>    Why the (output?!) access to this file is required?

Setup PLT by default compiles anything that it loads. For some reason,
it thinks that "cmdline.ss" needs to be recompiled.

Probably Setup PLT's behavior in this respect needs to be more tightly
controlled!

>    What is modified  (besides the installed collection itself)
> in the process of a collection installation?

Normally nothing. Running Setup PLT once (during installation) compiles
everything that Setup PLT loads for its own implementation.

>     What is the proper/recommended way to remove a collection installed?
>     ... to upgrade one?

Sorry --- we still haven't added support for that. It's just a matter
of finding time.

Depending on the collection, it's normally sufficient to delete the
directory within "plt/collects".

> 2. It looks that
> strip(1)
> corrupts executables created with
> mzc --exe
> Is strip in need of some flags or such files are not intended for
> "stripping"?

Maybe -S? On many platforms, strip removes information needed for
dynamic linking, and -S limits the strip to removing debug information.

> And last but not least: can you point me some docs on the subjects
> above? I've tried help-desk (as far as pack.ss), but I've probably overlooked
> something...

Probably there's nothing more than what youve found so far.

Matthew

Posted on the users mailing list.