[plt-scheme] Fwd: [Contrib-Rpm] drscheme-202-1mdk

From: Guillaume Rousse (rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr)
Date: Sun Oct 6 12:18:41 EDT 2002

Le Dimanche 6 Octobre 2002 15:38, Kirill Lisovsky a écrit :
> IMHO, the .rpm has to be installed in
> /usr/lib/plt
> following the pattern of source installation
> (which is typically in /usr/local/lib/plt , BTW)
> as strict as possible.
OK, let's use /usr/lib/plt then.

> > > Third, i segregated statics libs and headers in a -devel package, as
> > > they are not useful unless you want to develop for
> > > drscheme. However, i saw there are other headers left in main
> > > package, as $PLT_HOME/collects/compiler/mzclink.h, and c exemple
> > > files, as whole $PLT_HOME/collects/mzscheme/examples directory.  Can
> > > i also safely transfer those files in -devel package ?
> >
> > But these are a tiny fraction of the whole thing.  Plus, I never
> > understood the point of having a -devel rpm for a language, unless
> > it's just some very limited run-time thing.  For example, RedHat (at
> > least 7.3 and 8) don't have a perl-devel rpm.  I saw that Mandrake
> > does have one, but it is tiny compared to the standard package.
>
> I believe that a separate -devel package is an advantage. There are a lot
> of PLT users who don't need it installed (just consider students, for
> example).
>
> Even more: in some environments (say, servers) mzscheme and drscheme
> packaged separately would be a bonus.
OK, what about the following split then:
plt (containing just mzscheme)
plt-drscheme (containing drscheme)
plt-devel (containing libs and headers)
From description, i suspect mred binary should safely be included in
plt-drscheme package (unless you prefer plf-mred AND plf-drscheme). But i
don't know if i could also split some collects subdirs into those packages,
not can i see if teachpacks are only related to drscheme or are also needed
for mzscheme.

> > > --=-=-=
> > > Name        : drscheme                     Relocations: (not
> > > relocateable) Version     : 202                               Vendor:
> > > MandrakeSoft Release     : 1mdk                          Build Date:
> > > Sat Oct  5 23:43:58 2002 Install date: (not installed)
> > > Build Host:
> > >  klama.mandrake.org Group       : Development/Languages         Source
> > > RPM: (none)
> > > Size        : 5019551                          License: PLT
> > > Packager    : Guillaume Rousse <g.rousse at linux-mandrake.com>
> > > URL         : http://www.drscheme.org
> > > Summary     : PLT DrScheme
> > > Description :
> > > DrScheme, a pedagogical programming environment.
> > > --=-=-=
> >
> > The license is a standard LGPL no?
> >
> > Also, I would call the rpm plt for the same reason as the directory
> > name, I would put a link to http://www.plt-scheme.org/ since it is
> > more useful, and I would say something about a(n excellent) Scheme
> > programming environment since it is way past the point of being just a
> > "pedagogical programming environment".
>
> DrScheme is just a part of PLT sofware, and PLT is much more than
> "pedagogical programming environment".
> Say, it may be qualified as "web application server" or
> "scripting language" as well :-)
>
> IMHO, a suitable description may be found at www.plt-scheme.org
>
>        PLT Scheme is an umbrella name for a family of implementations of
>        the Scheme programming language:
>
> ... and borrowed from mzscheme manpage:
>
>        MzScheme  is the PLT Scheme implementation.  It implements
>        the language as described in the Revised^5 Report  on  the
>        Algorithmic  Language Scheme and adds numerous extensions.
>
>        MrEd embeds and extends MzScheme  with  a  graphical  user
>        interface (GUI) toolbox.
>
>        DrScheme is the graphical development environment for creating
>        MzScheme and MrEd applications.
Thanks, i'll use that.
--
Guillaume Rousse <rousse at ccr.jussieu.fr>