[plt-scheme] Fwd: [Contrib-Rpm] drscheme-202-1mdk

From: Kirill Lisovsky (lisovsky at acm.org)
Date: Sun Oct 6 09:38:11 EDT 2002

Hello!

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> On Oct  6, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
>
> > Second, i've setup $PLT_HOME as /usr/lib/drscheme (maybe i should have used
> > /usr/lib/plt instead ?).
>
> plt sounds like a better name (drscheme is just one thing you can run
> out of many others).

> > otherwise /usr/share/drscheme (or plt) would be more adequate.
>
> The problem is that native-compiled files will end up in the same
> tree.

IMHO, the .rpm has to be installed in
/usr/lib/plt
following the pattern of source installation
(which is typically in /usr/local/lib/plt , BTW)
as strict as possible.

> > Third, i segregated statics libs and headers in a -devel package, as
> > they are not useful unless you want to develop for
> > drscheme. However, i saw there are other headers left in main
> > package, as $PLT_HOME/collects/compiler/mzclink.h, and c exemple
> > files, as whole $PLT_HOME/collects/mzscheme/examples directory.  Can
> > i also safely transfer those files in -devel package ?
>
> But these are a tiny fraction of the whole thing.  Plus, I never
> understood the point of having a -devel rpm for a language, unless
> it's just some very limited run-time thing.  For example, RedHat (at
> least 7.3 and 8) don't have a perl-devel rpm.  I saw that Mandrake
> does have one, but it is tiny compared to the standard package.

I believe that a separate -devel package is an advantage. There are a lot
of PLT users who don't need it installed (just consider students, for example).

Even more: in some environments (say, servers) mzscheme and drscheme packaged
separately would be a bonus.

> > --=-=-=
> > Name        : drscheme                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
> > Version     : 202                               Vendor: MandrakeSoft
> > Release     : 1mdk                          Build Date: Sat Oct  5 23:43:58
> >  2002 Install date: (not installed)               Build Host:
> >  klama.mandrake.org Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM:
> >  (none)
> > Size        : 5019551                          License: PLT
> > Packager    : Guillaume Rousse <g.rousse at linux-mandrake.com>
> > URL         : http://www.drscheme.org
> > Summary     : PLT DrScheme
> > Description :
> > DrScheme, a pedagogical programming environment.
> > --=-=-=
>
> The license is a standard LGPL no?
>
> Also, I would call the rpm plt for the same reason as the directory
> name, I would put a link to http://www.plt-scheme.org/ since it is
> more useful, and I would say something about a(n excellent) Scheme
> programming environment since it is way past the point of being just a
> "pedagogical programming environment".

DrScheme is just a part of PLT sofware, and PLT is much more than
"pedagogical programming environment".
Say, it may be qualified as "web application server" or
"scripting language" as well :-)

IMHO, a suitable description may be found at www.plt-scheme.org

       PLT Scheme is an umbrella name for a family of implementations of
       the Scheme programming language:

... and borrowed from mzscheme manpage:

       MzScheme  is the PLT Scheme implementation.  It implements
       the language as described in the Revised^5 Report  on  the
       Algorithmic  Language Scheme and adds numerous extensions.

       MrEd embeds and extends MzScheme  with  a  graphical  user
       interface (GUI) toolbox.

       DrScheme is the graphical development environment for creating
       MzScheme and MrEd applications.

Best regards,
         Kirill.

Posted on the users mailing list.