[plt-scheme] Question on Teaching Scheme with DrScheme

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Nov 6 02:07:10 EST 2002

On Nov  6, Anton van Straaten wrote:
> > > In both, and in Smalltalk in particular it is easier to code complex
> > > interactions, like in Alice.
> >
> > OK, so after digging that up, going through the agony of booting
> > Windows and all the crashes that comes with it (and with Alice), I
> > still don't get the above point.  I didn't see any particularly
> > complex way of coding interactions.  Is the only point of this only
> > the DoInOrder and DoTogether?  If so, then what's the problem of doing
> > it in Scheme?
>
> I agree, I don't think the language is the issue.  However - the fact that
> nobody has actually implemented anything like this in Scheme (?) means that
> Scheme isn't much of a choice for someone who wants to teach using this sort
> of program.

My question is still what is the fundamental "this" that should make
it unnatural to code in Scheme...  If "this" is the above, then there
is no conceptual problem.  If "this" is embedding Scheme in the same
way that they have embedded Python, then I think it is only a
technical issue which wasn't a point to begin with.