[plt-scheme] Question on Teaching Scheme with DrScheme

From: Anton van Straaten (anton at appsolutions.com)
Date: Wed Nov 6 01:58:48 EST 2002

> > In both, and in Smalltalk in particular it is easier to code complex
> > interactions, like in Alice.
>
> OK, so after digging that up, going through the agony of booting
> Windows and all the crashes that comes with it (and with Alice), I
> still don't get the above point.  I didn't see any particularly
> complex way of coding interactions.  Is the only point of this only
> the DoInOrder and DoTogether?  If so, then what's the problem of doing
> it in Scheme?

I agree, I don't think the language is the issue.  However - the fact that
nobody has actually implemented anything like this in Scheme (?) means that
Scheme isn't much of a choice for someone who wants to teach using this sort
of program.

(A separate question is whether you need this sort of program to teach.)

Anton

Posted on the users mailing list.