[plt-scheme] Local Scheme Repository

From: Neil W. Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Nov 1 06:47:02 EST 2002

Paulo Jorge O. C. Matos <pocm at mega.ist.utl.pt> writes:
> I have 2 plt-scheme in my linux partition, last release and last cvs
> exp-tagged. I'd like them to share a common repository of collects. Is
> that possible?
[...]
> That way I'll have to install it in both. But when there's a
> plt-scheme release I delete the latest plt-scheme release in my pc and
> install a new one. When I delete the old one webit, schemedoc, etc
> just go boom and I have to install them all over again.

Though you might be able to share collections directories by setting the
"PLTCOLLECTS" environment variable or using symlinks, that can turn into
a headache.  Also, the collections directories contain compiled ".zo"
files that are not necessarily compatible between different PLT
versions.

What might be easiest and most reliable is to keep all your ".plt" files
in a directory outside of your installed PLT directory trees, then
execute "setup-plt *.plt" every time you update a PLT installation.
It doesn't take long to run.

Additionally, if every time you update a PLT installation you have it
install a clean "collects" tree, you avoid accumulating unique cruft in
those trees that would create reproducibility QA problems.

--
                                                        Neil W. Van Dyke
                                             http://www.neilvandyke.org/