[plt-scheme] expander language

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Fri Dec 13 13:27:32 EST 2002

On Friday, December 13, 2002, at 12:06  PM, David B. Tucker wrote:

> The expander repl isn't particularly convenient -- right now it just
> prints #<syntax>, and when you click on that you get an enormous
> "general info" window.
>
> Most of the time, I would rather it just printed out the expanded
> sexp, which takes less room and doesn't require me to click on the
> result.  Are there any plans to support that?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave

I disagree.  The current behavior is the more general one, and
typically, that general info _is_ something you want to see. Well, let
me withdraw my assertion about "you"; it's something that _I_ want to
see.

Also, if you really want to see the datum form, and you're doing it
enough times to be agitated about the overhead of clicking of the
triangle, why not just wrap the expression you want to expand in
(syntax-object->datum (expand ...)) and be done with it?

john

p.s.: handy tip that took me too long to figure out: if what you want
is to see the expansion of the thing in beginner language, you can just
wrap the syntax you're interested in with a (module foo (lib
"htdp-beginner.ss" "lang") ...) .  Apologies if you already knew that.

Posted on the users mailing list.