From: Jay McCarthy (jay at racket-lang.org)
Date: Thu Sep 4 09:09:36 EDT 2014

My best understanding is that the problem is that path->pkg is used by
"raco setup" to tell whether unstated dependencies are present. If
files from collects/ are in a package, then everything needs to depend
on "base" (which is inconvenient) including other files in collects/
but the files in collects/ aren't part of a package that has
dependencies and "base" isn't actually considered installed (at least
during the collects/ part.)

As mentioned, I also tried "racket" as the package, but that had a
very similar (but slightly different) crash.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy
http://jeapostrophe.github.io

           "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing,
      for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.
And out of small things proceedeth that which is great."
                          - D&C 64:33

Posted on the dev mailing list.