[racket-dev] raco pkg update --clone and git URL config

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Dec 16 19:21:53 EST 2014

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Asumu Takikawa <asumu at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> it will install TR from github and reinstall. An excerpt from the config
> for that git repo looks like this:
>
>   [remote "origin"]
>           url = git://github.com/racket/typed-racket/
>
> The problem is that this URL is not as useful as it could be because
> github won't let you push to it (at least I can't seem to). The
> corresponding SSH URL "git at github.com:racket/typed-racket.git" lets me
> push.

If this is done by the package system in an attempt to get something
that works for anyone, then http URLs (for GH, replace git:// with
http://) work better -- they work for anyone, and require a
username/password when pushing.  (With several ways to have them cached,
stored in your keychain or whatever.)