[racket-dev] new package system collections and conflicts

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 1 08:42:25 EST 2014

To play the role of Mr. Anecdote:

Someone mentioned Cabal. Last week at Hacker School, I paired for a
few hours with someone more-experienced in Haskell, to try using
Template Haskell on a toy project I'd done. My project uses Pandoc.
Apparently Pandoc is felt to download half the internet's worth of
Haskell packages. So my partner didn't want to install Pandoc out of
fear of version conflicts. Instead they simply used Docker to make an
image, and install Pandoc in that "sandbox". Then we paired.

It seems to be more popular lately to use "meta" "image"/"sandbox"
tools like Docker, and not just among so-called devops people.

Posted on the dev mailing list.