[racket-dev] Project Idea to port Paredit mode to DrRacket.

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Jun 8 17:26:17 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-09 00:06:21 +0530, Mayank Jain wrote:
> I am participating in "Lisp in Summer Project"[0]. &*Recently I stated
> doing this course on coursera[1], and I realized that there is no
> equivalent of paredit[2] mode in DrRacket (atleast I couldn't find
> anything of that sort).

That sounds like a great project idea! I just wanted to comment that if
you get this working, I would definitely use it.

> And I was wondering if I could work on porting it. Can anyone guide me
> into what is possible? What I should be looking at etc?

You will probably want to look into the main text editing interfaces in
Racket's GUI library such as editor<%>, text%, and racket:text<%>.

  http://docs.racket-lang.org/gui/editor___.html
  http://docs.racket-lang.org/gui/text_.html
  http://docs.racket-lang.org/framework/Racket.html#%28def._%28%28lib._framework%2Fmain..rkt%29._racket~3atext~3c~25~3e%29%29

(maybe you can port paredit by replacing the emacs text buffer
 manipulation function calls with method calls into these interfaces)

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.