[racket-dev] experiment reorganizing the repo into packages

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 3 13:42:22 EDT 2013

At Mon, 3 Jun 2013 10:36:51 -0400, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> (BTW, a possible source of confusion: I'm assuming that distribution
> must be done via archives and not via repository specs, since there
> should be some way to put the compiled files in there.

I don't think that's the right assumption. We want it to have packages
that combine source with built entities, but I don't think we want to
require it. Requiring it would break the way GitHub repositories are
meant to be used as packages.

> You've
> mentioned at some point a "binary catalog" which seems unnecessary to
> me, but maybe there's something I don't get here.)

Yes, binary packages are another way to address the underlying issue.

I'm going to try to synthesize the progress and discussion so far in a
new message, and hopefully I'll managed to explain binary packages this
time around.

Posted on the dev mailing list.