[racket-dev] A grab-bag of issues

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 4 16:51:13 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> At Thu, 4 Jul 2013 12:52:10 -0400, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>> All of these are about packages/the new repository organization.
>>
>> 0. I think we should have a new `#lang info` for info.rkt files --
>> `setup/infotab` seems pretty arbitrary.   I'll do this if no one
>> objects.
>
> That sounds fine to me.

Pushing this momentarily.

>> 3. Rerunning `make` at the top-level loses the old set of PKGS
>> specified.  Should there be a `configure` setting for this to make it
>> permanent?
>
> I agree that something should be done, but I'm not sure of the right
> way to do it offhand. as you might imagine, it can be a little tricky
> to find something that works with both Unix/Mac and Windows.

Perhaps if there's a links file already, just keep it, unless PKGS is
set?  Or is that check the hard part?

>> 6. Should the launchers for things like 'setup-plt' and 'mzc' move to
>> `compatibility-lib`?
>
> Yes --- or maybe even a "mzc" package, since "compatibility-lib" gets
> pulled in by packages that probably shouldn't imply a `mzc' executable.

I'll do this soon.

>> 7. I think 'raco setup' should exit with a non-0 exit code when there
>> are dependency problems.
>
> That sounds right.

Does it already do this for other errors (such as documentation errors)?

More issues:

* Building on Travis with clang finds a lot of warnings, some of which
look like bugs.  See:
    https://travis-ci.org/samth/racket/jobs/8745819

* Similarly, that build shows that Racket detects itself as having
many more CPUs than it actually has.

* I think the FAQ and Future Plans sections of the pkg documentation
are pretty out-of-date.

* If you start 'raco setup' and then immediately hit Ctrl-C, you get
the message:

  uncaught exception: #<procedure>

and setup doesn't actually stop.

Sam