[racket-dev] Performance Lab

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 10:29:44 EST 2013

[Disclaimer: I'm not part of the core team, nor do I play one on TV.]

A few miscellaneous thoughts:

1. I love the idea of performance regression testing, with history
charts. (I read a great example of this a few months ago, but can't
dredge it up right now.)

2. I've wanted to do this on some of my own projects. It would be
awesome if the same tools used for Racket itself could be used by
individuals for their collections. (Maybe they have to provide their
own hardware or EC2 instances).

2.5 Racket will be breaking up its distribution into packages. I think
this sorta relates to 2?

3. Recently I was impressed to see how Travis integrates with GitHub.
For example if you make a pull request to a Linguist project, Travis
tests automatically run and the pass/fail result posted in the pull
request thread. (AFAIK Travis isn't _performance_ regression testing,
but still.)

4. Similarly, it could be neat if Planet (1 and/or 2) could show a
Travis-like test result badge for a package. And even a performance
test history chart. We could see at a glance that a package has been
trending faster or slower; more information to evaluate it.