[racket-dev] Planet2 urls

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Jan 9 14:43:44 EST 2013

6 hours ago, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM,  <jay at racket-lang.org> wrote:
> > +               (format "https://pnr.racket-lang.org~a" k-url)
>
> Can we name this something user-memorable?  Ideas: packages.r-l,
> package.r-l, pkg.r-l (goes with the `raco` command), ...

+3 -- assuming that these are going to be urls that are available
publicly.  IOW, the point of a URL to a foo package from my POV as a
user is that it is "the foo package" -- and the URL should reflect
that.  IIUC, "pnr" stands for "package name resolver", which is a term
that revolves around the implementation of packages, and therefore not
something that makes it easy to remember.

And as long as I'm talking about urls: I see that the URLs on the
server look like:

  http://.../info/foo

and I think that having the package first makes a much better layout,
even when it makes things less convenient for the web page
implementation.  I might be a url pedantic, but this is IMO an
important usability point, and as a random example of good url layout
see the github interface.

In any case, both of these issues can be resolved by making a
pkg.racket-lang.org that has a user-oriented interface, which would
also free pnr.racket-lang.org to be something more machine friendly
and more cryptic.