From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Thu Nov 8 13:21:42 EST 2012

Two hours ago, Danny Yoo wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>
>     5 hours ago, Danny Yoo wrote:
>     > Somewhat small change.  But it was low-hanging fruit, and I needed
>     > to make some kind of progress.  :)
>
>     Last time I benchmarked this kind of IO, using `write-string' and/or
>     `write-bytes' was even faster (and they "feel right" for this kind of
>     optimization work).
>
> Agreed!  I completely forgot about those functions.  Ok, I'll use
> those when I pass through that module again.

Look in scribble/text/output.rkt for how I did it -- I think that
using bytes was slightly faster but I preferred to use strings to keep
the code simpler.  (The code there is complex for other reasons,
mostly the indentation management.)

>     Another thing to try, though not a low hanging thing, is to see
>     how the output of `scribble/html' compares to this -- it's
>     undocumented, still, but I vaguely want to try moving the
>     scribble rendering to it.
>
> What's the current status with scribble/html?  I understand that
> it's undocumented, but is it feature-complete?

Yes -- and it's certainly stable enough to document.  If you want I
can send a short description of how it's used.  (Maybe you'll be
willing to document it (wink wink)?)