From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at racket-lang.org)
Date: Thu Nov 8 10:55:00 EST 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:

> 5 hours ago, Danny Yoo wrote:
> > Somewhat small change.  But it was low-hanging fruit, and I needed
> > to make some kind of progress.  :)
>
> Last time I benchmarked this kind of IO, using `write-string' and/or
> `write-bytes' was even faster (and they "feel right" for this kind of
> optimization work).

Agreed!  I completely forgot about those functions.  Ok, I'll use those
when I pass through that module again.

>  Another thing to try, though not a low hanging
> thing, is to see how the output of `scribble/html' compares to this --
> it's undocumented, still, but I vaguely want to try moving the
> scribble rendering to it.

What's the current status with scribble/html?  I understand that it's
undocumented, but is it feature-complete?

> > The place where Scribble documentation generation uses a lot of time
> > appears to be the evaluations that feed @interactions.  (I have some
> > ideas on pushing the computation for @interactions off to
> > compile-time, but haven't cooked and taste-tested the ideas yet.)
>
> This time is spent on the sandboxes.  Like Robby, I don't think that
> there will be any benefit to doing the work at compile time -- the
> setup process re-runs files only when needed, and that happens when
> they need to be recompiled, so you end up doing the same work at the
> same time.

I was thinking that if one were modifying some scribble files and rerunning
raco setup, subsequent builds of the documentation might be faster.  The
canonical example would be the Reference, which includes sections from
several other scribble files.  But if the setup process is already smart
enough not to re-run the runtime portions of sections of the reference that
haven't changed, then there's no benefit to what I was thinking.