[racket-dev] Potential search improvement

From: Rodolfo Carvalho (rhcarvalho at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 22:20:50 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Rodolfo Carvalho <rhcarvalho at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
>
>> Just now, Justin Zamora wrote:
>> > The search still doesn't find words in function descriptions.
>>
>> [It's not a full-text search, and as long as it's required to run on
>> client machines (needed to run on your local copy), it's unlikely to
>> become a full-text search.]
>>

> It could be an SQLite-backed Full Text Search, couldn't it?
> (just it would require possibly unwanted changes to the whole
> architecture...)

I had in mind that it is possible to use WebSQL or IndexedDB (on browsers
that support them), or even sql.js:

https://github.com/kripken/sql.js
Demo: http://syntensity.com/static/sql.html

The demo consumes 23 MB on Chrome while the new search page consumes around
40 MB. Of course these numbers are not to be compared directly and I don't
mean to make any comparison.
I just looked at it and cite it as a clue that it may be viable
performance-wise (i.e. sql.js itself apparently doesn't take hundreds of
megabytes of RAM).

[]'s

Rodolfo Carvalho