[racket-dev] Racket 5.3 pre-release impressions?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Jul 28 14:56:02 EDT 2012

Regarding Racket 5.3, I am more cautious than I recall being about a
previous Racket minor version release.

The information I have so far is mixed, rather that overwhelmingly
reassuring.

If anyone has comments on their sense of 5.3 reliability at this point,
that might help me.

Some good news: one of my consulting clients had me do some preliminary
testing of their large code base with the Racket 5.3 pre-release, and
there has been no problem with that testing so far.

However, in testing 5.3 pre-releases with my personally-owned code,
rather than clients' code, so far I've found what looks like 2 bugs in
the 5.3 pre-release.  This was surprising to me, since I expected 0
bugs.  I have not yet tried the majority of my personally-owned code.

Until I get a better sense, I would expect to keep production servers at
5.2.1 for a while after the 5.3 release.  I'm also probably going to go
to some trouble to avoid using new 5.3 features in some code that might
be deployed to production in the very near term.

More information might be reassuring to me.

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.