[racket-dev] Anyone cares for the OSX Darwin build (was: Caching rendered icons)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Jan 14 17:46:38 EST 2012

Yesterday, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> At Fri, 13 Jan 2012 18:01:22 -0500, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> > We don't own some of them,
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH

That requires someone doing the work of building it.

> > and some have no maintainer.
>
> Let's drop them. While we may lose some testing benefit, it's not
> worth trying to create builds for systems that have almost no users.

OK, if nobody volunteers, then the darwin build will be removed.
(Subject changed accordingly.)

> > The first is also an indication of a lost feature: being able to
> > compile racket on a typical server and deploy on a desktop.
>
> If Cairo is non-typical for server, then we had that feature only if
> you leave out the documentation build, which has required
> `racket/draw' for a while now.

(Compiling the documentation is often dropped in such builds.)

> > (2) I don't want to put conditions up for people who volunteer
> > servers (I still hope to get a *BSD machine at some point, and
> > it's extremely popular to find these in a no-gui setup);
>
> Cairo is not a GUI.

I was using "gui setup" in the sense of a "desktop distribution",
which of course has lots of components that are not gui.  Things that
are not included in a typical bsd setup or in a linux server setup of
some distributions.

> This hasn't already happened, right?

We had a BSD build a number of years ago, and IIRC, the GL thing was a
problem then.  IIRC, the guy who maintained it couldn't install it,
and the bsd build was just missing the GL feature since it wasn't
platform independent as it is today.  Cairo is much easier, but I
dislike such extensions partly because of that experience.